Mineral Of The Day #89: Amber
Mohs Hardness Scale: 2-2.5
- Amber is not a mineral; it is a mineraloid. It is actually fossilized tree resin.
- It can contain preserved plants, animals, and insects from tens of millions of years ago!
- It is the lightest weight and softest of all gemstones. True amber is light enough to float in saltwater.
- It represents the 10th wedding anniversary.
- When rubbed, amber attracts lint.
- Amber was one of the reasons the Emperor Nero opened the trade routes with Germanic tribes.
- In addition to its use as a gemstone, amber is also used as an ingredient in perfumes and as a healing agent in folk medicine!